Wednesday 3 February 2016

2015 Fixed Point Sakura Observation in Ochanomizu

EMU Tokyo Metro 02 series travels backed by a full-blown sakura tree (2015)

The cold wave remains in the Tokyo metropolitan area. I can hardly wait for spring. To invite the warm flower season, I am going to show you last year's sakura (cherry blossom) pictures from my photo storage.

One of my pleasures in spring is "fixed point sakura observation" from platform number 4 of Ochanomizu Station on the Chuo Line. I have been paying attention to a sakura tree near the station. It is a single tree planted beside the Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line, on which the train crosses the Kanda River near Ochanomizu Station traveling above ground.

At the end of March, this young tree bears an abundance of glorious light-pink-colored blossoms. I shot it in 2013, 2014 and 2015. The tree has been growing and the number of blossoms has also been increasing. The autumn leaves are also lovely in this spot. Blooming, autumn leaves, then, blooming again... Ochanomizu is my favorite spot to see the different seasons and the rebirth of springtime.

The happy trains, which can observe this full-blown sakura tree, are the EMU Tokyo Metro 02 series on the Marunouchi Line and the EMU JR East 233 series on the Chuo Rapid Line. The former was launched in 1988, while the latter debuted in 2008, twenty years apart.

I am going to continue to report on the fixed point sakura observation and the trains passing by the sakura tree for as long as I can.

 
EMU JR East E233 series and a full-blown sakura tree in front of Ochanomizu Station (2015)