Monday 15 July 2013

EMU Odakyu 1000 Series, Train for My Everyday Use


EMU Odakyu 1000 series arrives at Atsugi Station on the Odawara Line

Along with the 3000 series, the EMU Odakyu 1000 series is a train for my everyday use (see the top photo). It was commissioned in 1988 as Odakyu's first stainless-steel car with induction motors and VVVF inverter control (variable-frequency drive) system. A total of 36 sets, 196 units have been manufactured so far by Tokyu Sharyo, Nippon Sharyo and Kawasaki Heavy Industries.

When the 1000 series was launched, I was surprised that the VVVF inverter control system generated a loud and animalistic modulated sound. I still remember that my son often imitated this strange sound when he was a kid. He was truly a mimic of genius. Was I a doting parent?

Unbeknown to me, the VVVF control system of the 1000 series was changed to the latest and quieter system. According to a specialized book, Odakyu had completed the change to the system by 2012. It is too bad that I can't hear the loud and animalistic modulated sound any longer.

The 1000 series was also known as a multi-purpose commuter train. For example, it is used for all kinds of trains, such as rapid express, express, semi-express, and local. Furthermore, it used to be used for direct operation between the Odakyu and the Subway Tokyo Metro Chiyoda lines. But recently, the 1000 series lost its status as a direct operating train to the new commuter train, EMU 4000 series.

Nothing stands still.

EMU Odakyu 1000 series runs on the express track, and passes through Chitose-Funabashi Sta.