Saturday 19 January 2013

Train View Spot on the Keikyu Line


EMU Keikyu 800 series approaches Shin-Bamba Station

I love walking both in the downtown and the countryside. It's fun finding or being inspired by some unforeseen scenery during walking. I am going to show one such scenery here.

One day last year, I was enjoying a city walk in the Shinagawa area, which is located in the southern part of downtown Tokyo. I have been to Shinagawa many times before, as my office was once located there so it was something like a routine. I was strolling along the Highway Route No.15, and looking about. When I stopped at a traffic light near Shin-Bamba Station on the Keikyu Line, I found a small sylvan place where I'd never been before. That was Shinagawa Shrine.

Shinagawa Shrine was opened in 1187 by Yoritomo Minamoto, the founder and the first shogun of the Kamakura Shogunate. To get to the main shrine, it takes 2 minutes walking along stone steps and a stone paved road.

The main shrine is a nice place to visit, but it might be more interesting if you climb up a small hill surrounded by trees near the main shrine. Local people call it "Shinagawa Fuji", because the profile is similar to Mt. Fuji.

After climbing up Shinagawa Fuji, I found a gorgeous train viewing spot. I saw red-body Keikyu trains frequently (see the photos). They were the EMU 800, 1000, 2100 series and so on. The trains stood out against the background buildings.

Shinagawa Shrine... it is an unknown train viewing spot in Tokyo.

EMU Keikyu 1000 series approaches Shin-Bamba Station