Sunday 9 February 2014

The Last of Steel Body Train on the Odakyu Line

EMU Odakyu 8000 series stands at Kyodo station on the Odawara Line 
 
In present-day Japan, most new trains have stainless steel or aluminum bodies. They are resistant to corrosion, meaning that painting of the bodies is not required. They have cost merits as well as high maintenance efficiency.

The shining stainless steel body is very beautiful in the sunlight. As I mentioned before, I still remember visiting Eifuku-cho Rail Yard with my grandpa in my childhood, and saw the brand spanking new train, the Keio 3000 series, shining brilliantly in my eyes. That was my first experience to meet with a stainless steel body train. Since then, stainless steel body trains have been my favorite.

Having said that, there are too many stainless steel body trains in Tokyo today. They are no longer rare. Rail fans do not always have the same feelings for trains. They are fickle people, including me. Fully painted steel body trains are now more cool and nostalgic for me.

Currently, I am fond of the EMU Odakyu 8000 series, a fully painted steel body train. With its white colored body and a blue stripe, it is beautiful on the evening track. This train was launched in 1982 to replace old commuter trains such as the 2600 series. Its clean and beautiful body hasn't faded despite 32 years having passed by. Its major assignment is as an express train to transport commuters from the western suburbs to the city center of Tokyo.

The EMU Odakyu 8000 series... it is the precious, last steel body train on the Odakyu Line.

EMU Odakyu 8000 series passes through Chitose-Funabashi Station on the Odawara Line